Insight4elections Twitter chart
HEAD: Gerry Adams, Enda Kenny and Shane Ross top of the Twitter chart ahead of the election campaign
SUBHEAD: The Insight Centre for Data Analytics to run the numbers on candidate Twitter campaigns throughout Election 2016
Researchers at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics are tracking the Twitter engagement of all candidates in the 2016 General Election.
Insight’s data suggests that 88 per cent of declared candidates have an account.
Initial findings put Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams on top with almost 100,000 followers, more than twice that of his closest competitor, Taoiseach Enda Kenny.
Shane Ross of Independent Alliance is in third place with 35,723 followers as of the first day of the official campaign, announced today (03/02/16).
Roughly a third of people in Ireland have a Twitter account.
The top 25 candidates, by numbers of Twitter followers, is detailed below. Other top Twitter candidates include Minister for Health Leo Varadkar, Sinn Fein Deputy Leader Mary Lou McDonald, Renua Leader Lucinda Creighton and the joint leader of the Social Democrats Stephen Donnelly. High performing independent candidates include Mick Wallace and Clare Daly.
Over the coming weeks researchers at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics will watch the engagement of all GE16 candidates, tracking growth in their follower numbers and activity on their Twitter pages. Using sentiment analysis tools developed by Insight, researchers will track key election issues as they emerge on the social networking platform.
Professor Derek Greene and Dr Georgiana Ifrim, lead investigators on the project, are hoping that the research will help voters and social media users to get a bird’s eye view of the general election campaign as it unfolds online.
“The Insight Centre represents a major investment by the Irish tax payer and through this project we hope to demonstrate the value that good data research can bring to the democratic process,” said Dr Ifrim.
Funded by Science Foundation Ireland, the Insight Centre was set up in 2013 to bring together the expertise of 400 data researchers across the country.
The Insight4Elections project involves a team of researchers across Insight at University College Dublin and Dublin City University. When using Insight4Elections data, please credit the Insight Centre for Data Analytics.
For further information contact:
Louise Holden/Grainne Faller, FH Media Consulting Ltd
087 2423985/086 8404761
Twitter Username Full Name Twitter Followers
1. GerryAdamsSF Gerry Adams 99167
2. EndaKennyTD Enda Kenny 42065
3. Shane_RossTD Shane Ross 35723
4. campaignforleo Leo Varadkar 29792
5. MaryLouMcDonald Mary Lou McDonald 24761
6. simoncoveney Simon Coveney 21304
7. LCreighton Lucinda Creighton 20619
8. DonnellyStephen Stephen Donnelly 19653
9. PearseDoherty Pearse Doherty 19554
10. wallacemick Mick Wallace 19467
11. AodhanORiordain Aodhan O’Riordain 17321
12. EamonRyan Eamon Ryan 15749
13. MichealMartinTD MicheÃ¡l Martin 15678
14. CaseyPeterJ Peter Casey 14588
15. joanburton Joan Burton 14574
16. ClareDalyTD Clare Daly 13003
17. FitzgeraldFrnc Frances Fitzgerald 12908
18. RBoydBarrett Richard Boyd Barrett 12511
19. CathMurphyTD Catherine Murphy 11896
20. paulmurphyAAA Paul Murphy 11688
21. jerrybuttimer Jerry Buttimer 11629
22. averilpower Averil Power 11101
23. tonguelash Aislinn T 10822
24. Paschald Paschal Donohoe 10166